Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

A Woman is just a Ride

I read recently an article in Glamour from the new “Jake” on the block, and it suddenly occurred to me as I read him describe going out with a new woman wondering if he slept with her, how she would feel, sound, look, etc. that he could just as well as been describing a car. And then a cacophony of images, articles, comments from male friends began roaring around me. Men see women as tools, as something to own, ride, show off, use and trade in when a new model is made available. Look at the example pulled off the net:

…that the way a man treats the people who service him out in public, whether it's a waitress or a cab driver, can indicate how he may later treat the woman he marries.

No kidding!! Because he just married his own personal wait staff. How many times have you heard from a woman in regard to her spouse, he only has one job around the house and I make sure he does it (yes, I heard this comment just this week). Of course, they both have full time jobs, but I don’t hear men saying my wife only has one job around the house and I make sure she does it. How many articles have you seen about “How to tell if your man is cheating”, “How to keep your man from cheating”, “The 10 signs of a man that may cheat”. I don’t ever remember seeing articles with “How to keep your woman from cheating”. Generally speaking if a man hasn’t cheated it is because he is too lazy, the opportunity hasn’t presented itself, or he has done the math and decided that his regular ride is going to find out and his personal convenience store is going to close. The Greeks wrote a whole play about the women getting sick of the men throwing big sticks at each other and said: “Throw another freaking stick dude and no nookie for you” Bam! War ended, no more big sticks being chucked during the day, just little sticks in the night.

Men think they are in a deep relationship if they have a full stomach, have gotten a little in the last 12-24 hours and they have a remote, game stick, or console in hand. I floated that idea to a male friend that laughed and said it was actually pretty true. I asked another male friend, “So Pat, let me see if I understand this correctly. Men just want the most amount of bang in a relationship for the least amount of actual involvement”. Yep, that pretty well covers it was his reply. Oh my….and I like men, but I am definitely learning that you cannot expect them to be what they aren’t.

We are things for them, it isn’t personal and we women keep thinking it is. A recent article decoded this phrase for women: “When he says “I love you” after sex, it really means “I loved having sex”. My guess that “I love you” coming from any man translates as: “You do enough things for me that I would be an idiot to not let you keep on taking care of me.” This is not to say we can’t enjoy what they do have to offer, just don’t assume that you actually mean anything to them – you are their own personal wait staff and convenience store and they are happy to shop somewhere new at a moment’s notice. Dogs generally have more loyalty.


I used to be such a romantic – oh well…..

No comments:

Post a Comment