Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Putting It All Back

 
For six weeks I lived without clothes, well sort of.  After the smoke rehab people came in and took all the soft goods, meaning my clothes, bedding, drapes, etc. I lived with 6 pairs of underwear, one sweater, two pairs of pants, one pair of riding pants, and some tops.  Life was really good - it is amazing how little we really need.  No anxiety about what I was going to wear.  Then after six weeks I got 37 boxes back of goodies.  Now in my own self defense, not all of them were filled with clothes - one box had two stuffed animals which doesn't excuse the other 36 boxes.  Several boxes had yarn, a couple had bedding and linens but the majority were indeed clothes.  No one needs this many items to wear - even if I have a number of interests that require their own clothing line (e.g. horses).  I just have a hard time getting rid of that moth eaten cashmere sweater that belonged to my father and I wear to the barn on cold mornings.  That sweater has history, nostalgia and I keep telling myself I will mend it up really, really soon.

But be that as it may, I have been taking this opportunity to go through and get rid of things that I no longer wear, but have kept.  If it was an item that I have to force myself to wear I have put it in the pile to go to Hospice Thrift.  I am ridiculously attached to clothes that I have a history with.  I may not have worn that shirt for five years, but I can remember when I wore it and...insert memory......I become all nostalgic and the stupid shirt goes back into the closet.  Not this time, I am being ruthless! Well...actually I am being ruthless in little baby steps.  Small batches are going to the thrift store so I don't have this anxiety attack and start beating on their donation door yelling "I want my stuff back!"

I live in an area that has a distinct winter and summer season so I have also taken the opportunity to pack up summer stuff and take it to storage until the next time it is needed.   But for me this process, while driving me crazy because my place is too small for the kind of mess, is also providing some more life lessons:

You really need less than you think you do.
              and
I can travel more lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment