Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Letters to Juliet

Em and I went to the movies yesterday.   One of those spontaneous mother/daughter moments.  She wanted to see Letters to Juliet and I, trying to live more on the edge (hey, it wasn't on my calendar), agreed to go. "Letters" is definitely in the running for the ultimate chick flick.  It stars Vanessa Redgrave in her search for a lost love.  Her lost love, as I saw in the credits was Franco Nero.  Whoa......wait a moment....wasn't he the Italian actor that played Lancelot opposite her Guinevere in Camelot back in 1969?  Didn't they have an affair back then?  Well, now that you mention it - they most certainly did and a son.  Life sort of got in the way and it turns out that they met again years later and actually married in 1996.  Letters to Juliet is very romantic, a search for true love and enough estrogen floating on the screen to curl the toes of any straight man (according to Em).  And according to Vanessa and Franco a telling of their own real love story.

I would like to believe in true love, but I want to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus as well.  I'm just not convinced it isn't a myth or fantasy which is why we have movies about it.  But then I was married to a man who told me "The only reason to be with an older woman is they have a vagina, what men really want is a younger woman but they are too much trouble"  Being 50 at the time there was no way I could pretend I was a younger woman.  Hmmmmm.......I appeared to be married to man who considered me a vaginal convenience store.  Time to close up shop.

I can't help but notice that true love only happens in Italy or with Italian men, e.g. Letter to Juliet, Under a Tuscan Sun.  I may just have to pay Italy a visit, if nothing else the landscape is drop dead gorgeous and the food looks divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment